Thursday, October 29, 2009

Vanity, pride... huh....?


"What will I look like when I am 60?" I thought to myself this morning while waiting for the bus. It was abit scary and I tried to brush off that thought. "What kind of hairstyle would I have by then?" Hmmmm, those thoughts didn't seemed to go away ....sigh... "What kind of a person would I be...? "Grumpy, proud ...? Oh gosh, here I go again.... but do all these matter??

Here's a quote from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice:

"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."

I enjoyed that book so much (I might just read that again for the umpteenth time!)
Well, what is her definition of pride? Is vanity or pride... a good or a bad thing? Or sinful?
The more I think and try to go deeper, the more vexed I am... so I am not going to continue this.

I am going to read "Pride and Prejudice" when I get home this evening. Like they say:

"The only true wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing." - Unknown

Okay, that will be my line for today. And I am going to enjoy myself with the book.






No comments:

Post a Comment